S.O.-268 (E) - Whereas the draft
Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Transport of Animals on Foot) Rules,
2000 were published as required by sub-section (1) of section 38 of the
Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960 (59 of 1960), under the
notification of the Government of India in the Ministry of Social Justice
and Empowerment number S.O. I 163(E) dated the 26th December 2000 in the
Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, Section 3, Sub Section (ii)
dated the 27th December, 2000 inviting objections and suggestions from all
persons likely to be affected thereby, before the expiry of the period of
sixty days from the date on which copies of the Gazette containing the
said notification are made available to the public.
And, whereas copies of the said Gazette were
made available to the public on the Ist January, 2001.
And, whereas no objection or suggestion has been received from the public
in respect of the said rules by the Central Government.
Now, therefore, in exercise of the powers conferred by sub-sections (1)
and (2) of section 38 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960
(59 of 1960), the Central Government hereby makes the following rules,
1. Short title and commencement :
(1) These rules may be called the Prevention of Cruelty 5 to Animals
(Transport of Animals on Foot) Rules, 2001
(2) They shall come into force on the date of their publication in the
2. Definitions.- In these rules
unless the context otherwise requires
a. "animal" means livestock and includes the following animals namely -
(i) cattle including cow, bulls and bullocks, buffalo bulls and bullocks,
cows, buffaloes, Mithuns, yaks and calves.
(ii) equines includings horses, ponies, mules and donkeys.
(iii) horse including entires (stallions), goldings, brood mares, colts
(iv) goat including adult goat, male or female of two years age and above.
(v) ruck including male goat
(vi) kid young goat below one year of age
(vii) nanny female goat
(viii) sheep including adult sheep, male or female of two years age and
(ix) ewe female sheep
(x) lamb young sheep below one year of age
(xi) ram male sheep
(xii) wether includes male lamb that has been castrated before reaching
(xiii) pig includes adult pig, male or female of one year of age or above
(xiv) piglet includes young pig below one year of age.
b. "veterinary doctor' means a person registered with the Veterinary
Council of India established under the Indian Veterinary Council Act, 1984
(52 of 1984)
c. "Schedule" means a schedule appended to these rules.
3. Application of the rules - These
rules shall apply to transport of animals on foot when the distance from
the boundary of village or town or city of the origin of such transport to
the last destination is 5 km or more than 5 km.
Condition of health of
animals transported on foot-
(1) Every animal to be transported on foot shall be healthy and in good
condition for such transport.
(2) A certificate of a veterinary doctor in respect of each animal to be
transported to the effect that such animal is in a fit condition for such
transportation and is not suffering from any infectious, contagious or
parasitic diseases and that it has been vaccinated against any infectious,
contagious or parasitic diseases shall accompany such animal
(3) The certificate under sub rule (1) shall be in the form as specified in
the First Schedule.
5. Certain animals not to transport on foot - New born animals of
which the navel has not completely healed, diseased, blind, emaciated, lame,
fatigued, or having given birth during the preceding seventy two hours or
likely to give birth during transport shall not be transported on foot.
Transport in on-farm social group - Animal shall be transported in their on
farm social groups (established at least one week prior to journey)
7. First aid equipment to accompany animals transported on foot - The
owner of the animals shall provide veterinary first aid equipment to be
accompanied with such animals while transported on foot.
8. Certificate to be carried during transportation - In case the
person transporting the animals on foot is not the owner of the animal then
such person shall carry a certificate as specified in the Second Schedule
during such transportation.
9. Watering arrangement during transportation of animals - The owner
of the animals shall make watering arrangement in route during transport of
such animals on foot.
10. Feed and fodder arrangements during transportation of animals-Sufficient
feed and fodder with adequate reserve of such feed and fodder for the
animals shall be made available by their owner during their transport on
11. Prohibition of the use of whip, etc during transportation of animals
on foot -(1) No person shall use a whip or a stick in order to for the
animal to walk or to hasten the pace of their w nor such person shall apply
chillies or any oft substance to any part of the body of the animal for this
purpose during their transportation on foot.
(2) If any animal needs to be tied during transport on foot, it shall be
tied by a rope covered with suitable cushioning such as cloth around its leg
and such animal shall not be tied by its nose, all legs or any other part of
the body except by its neck.
(3) If more than one animal is to be tied adjacent to one another by a
single rope during their transport on foot, the space between any two of
such animals shall be minimum two feet and animals so tied shall be of
similar physical condition and strength and no more than two such animals
shall be tied adjacent to each other by a single rope.
12. Certain Prohibition on transport of animals on foot
(1) No person shall transport on foot an animal before sunrise or after
(2) No animal shall be transported on foot beyond the distance, time, rest
interval and temperature specified for such animal in the Table below,